The Nantucket Lightship station marked the southern extremity of the extensive shoals that make out south and east from Nantucket Island. It served as a primary leading mark for both coast-wise and trans-Atlantic traffic. It was located variously at distances from 20 to 50 miles from the nearest land throughout its history. It was repositioned several times to provide a greater safety margin from shoal areas, and to conform to changed in the international traffic lanes. Nantucket Shoals was one of the most exposed lightship stations in the world and it was the last of the U.S. lightship stations to be discontinued.
LV 112 / WAL 534 served as the Nantucket Lightship from 1945 - 1958 and was in place during the Andrea Doria-Stockholm collision. This vessel was overhauled in 1958 and was later deployed back as the Nantucket Lightship from 1960-1975. She was one of the longest standing lightships that the Nantucket Shoals ever had. She served 39 years as a lightship and is currently used as a museum that very recently was berthed in New York City. Although there were variations in the locations, they never deviated too much during its later years.